Booker T. Washington National Monument
|Location||Franklin County, Virginia, United States|
|Nearest city||Rocky Mount, Virginia|
|Area||198.8 acres (80.5 ha)|
|Website||Booker T. Washington National Monument|
|NRHP reference No.||66000834|
|Added to NRHP||October 15, 1966|
|Designated NMON||April 2, 1956|
|Designated VLR||January 16, 1973|
The Booker T. Washington National Monument is a National Monument near the community of Hardy, Virginia, and is located entirely in rural Franklin County, Virginia. It preserves portions of the 207-acre (0.90 km2) tobacco farm on which educator and leader Booker T. Washington was born into slavery on April 5, 1856. It provides interpretation of Washington's life and achievements, as well as interpretation of 1850s slavery and farming through the use of buildings, gardens, crafts and animals.
Congress authorized the Booker T. Washington Memorial half dollar to fund the purchase of the site. This commemorative half dollar was the first US coin to feature an African American, and was minted from 1946 to 1951 at three different mints. 18 varieties of the coin were produced, and more than 1.5 million were sold (primarily to collectors). Yet, after the coin's production was finished, the BTW Commission owed more money than it had assets, and the Commonwealth of Virginia had to step in to provide funds to purchase the site.
- "NPS Annual Recreation Visits Report". National Park Service. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Archived from the original on September 21, 2013. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- "Booker T. Washington National Monument". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "Booker T. Washington Coin Act | U.S. Mint". www.usmint.gov. Retrieved August 10, 2018.
- "S. Rept. 107-199 - BOOKER T. WASHINGTON NATIONAL MONUMENT BOUNDARY ADJUSTMENT ACT OF 2001". www.congress.gov.
- Media related to Booker T. Washington National Monument at Wikimedia Commons
- Booker T. Washington National Monument
- Booker T. Washington Slave Cabin Commemorative Coin