|Motto||Rethinking the world together|
|Affiliations||Global U8 (GU8)|
The Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg (ⓘ) (Short: OVGU) is a public research university founded in 1993 and is located in Magdeburg, the Capital city of Saxony-Anhalt. The university has about 13,000 students in nine faculties.
The University is named after the physicist and former mayor of Magdeburg Otto von Guericke. The main research areas of the university are in the neurosciences, biosystems technology, disease prevention, automotive research, digital engineering and renewable energies.
The university was founded in 1993 and is therefore one of the youngest universities in Germany. The roots of the university lie in the three higher education institutions that previously existed in the city of Magdeburg: Technical University, University of Education and Medical Academy. Due to the three predecessor institutions, there are still three campuses today: "Universitätsplatz", "Universitätsklinikum" and "Zschokkestrasse". Since 2022, Otto von Guericke University has been part of the european university network "EU Green" along with eight other universities. This is intended to promote international cooperation in order to adequately meet future social challenges.
- Faculty of Computer Science (FIN)
- Faculty of Economics and Management (FWW)
- Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Education (FHW)
- Faculty of Mathematics (FMA)
- Faculty of Medicine (FME)
- Faculty of Natural Sciences (FNW)
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (FMB)
- Faculty of Process and Systems Engineering (FVST)
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT)
|Overall – Global & National|
IKUS is an inter-cultural association for international students. It contributes to cultural synergies between the countries. Students actively participate in and celebrate cultural festivals frequently. A large number of foreign students organize the days for each country.
MIPS (= Magdeburg International PhD Students) is the network for international PhD students at OvGU. This association helps to create and enhance the contact between international PhD students in order to promote the social and academic integration of young scientists. MIPS offers support and advice in various areas, e.g. to learn about Magdeburg and the German language, to give information about scholarships and job opportunities.
A sample of alumni and lecturers of the university includes:
- Antje Buschschulte – swimming world champion and PhD biologist
- Arno Ros – philosopher and former professor of theoretical philosophy at the university
- Axel Ockenfels – professor for economics
- Bernhard Sabel – psychologist who heads the Institute of Medical Psychology
- Birgitta Wolff – economist, politician and former president of the Goethe University Frankfurt
- Claudia Maria Buch – economist, university teacher and currently Vice President of the Bundesbank
- Dagmar Schipanski – physicist, university teacher and politician
- Henning Scheich – professor for physiology at the medical faculty
- Johannes Mallow – multiple winner of the World Memory Championships.
- Nguyễn Thiện Nhân – Vietnam's former Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education and Training, who graduated with a doctorate in cybernetics
- Rumiana Jeleva – former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bulgaria, who earned a PhD in sociology
- Journal of Automata, Languages and Combinatorics, an international academic journal in the field of theoretical computer science published by the university.
- Technische Mechanik, an international academic journal in the field of analytical, experimental and numerical mechanics is also published by the university.
Notes and references
- "Rethinking the world together". ovgu.de.
- "Facts & Figures" (in German). Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg. Retrieved 11 June 2022.
- "About the European Universities initiative". education.ec.europa.eu.
- "Key Research Priorities". ovgu.de.
- "World University Rankings 2024". Times Higher Education World University Rankings. 27 September 2023. Retrieved 27 September 2023.
- "IKUS – IKUS". www.ikus.ovgu.de.
- "MIPS – Magdeburg International PhD Students (MIPS)". www.mips.ovgu.de.
- "Studentenwerk". studentenwerk-magdeburg.de.
- "Journal of Automata, Languages and Combinatorics".
- "Technische Mechanik – European Journal of Engineering Mechanics". journals.ub.ovgu.de.
- Official website (in English and German)
- Medical Faculty of the University Magdeburg (in English)
- Inter-Cultural association for international students (IKUS) (in English)
- Magdeburg International PhD Students (MIPS) (in English)
- Student organization (in English)